Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Uncertain States

Three things:
  • Are you saying that if a light waveform is sent down an optic line that an completely unintrustive observation -- where one merely observes the light passing by but does not intercept or otherwise interfere or modify it -- can change the state in a way that is detectable at the other end? I'm skeptical. If experiments can detect the intrusion, I'd suspect that the "observation" wasn't so benign.
  • If true, doesn't quantum mechanics pretty well invalidate any scientific inquiry? What's the value of trying to measure something?
  • I see what you're saying about all this quantum stuff ... I don't understand it, but I accept that there's a whole realm of scientific discussion out there on the subject. All well and good. But is it proper to extend the concept into the realm of things like thought and ethics and our notion of God? I'm reminded of how Darwin's theories were extended in a similar manner.
Count me as one unpersuaded.

No comments: