Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Catholicism

I too have been drawn to Catholicism -- mostly based on what I perceive to the be the solemness of their ceremonies. I have some deep problems with their official doctrine (forgiveness through Christ's proxy, a priest) and the unofficial practice (the near-deification of Mary).

My church is going through the usual churn regarding the mode and schedule of worship. They've asked for input from the congregation, but I doubt they really have it in their mind to make major changes at this point, their having swizzled it earlier this year.

At any rate, I got to thinking about it, and if I had to list one thing, it would be this: focus more on reverence and solemnity. Right now, the sanctuary is like a huge social gathering up to and including the first few minutes of the actual service. Call me old-fashioned, but I think people should approach workship in a quiet, reflective, and humble manner. The usual counter-argument is that worship should be joyful. Okay. But in what? Joy in the Lord? Or Joy in seeing Betty Sue and catching up on Tuesday's golf plans?

"Aligning my heart" to God during that time is simply impossible -- there's too much commotion; too much noise.

But I mostly just keep my mouth shut. I have long since realized most people really don't want to hear the opinions of others, even if they ask for it.

I'm cynical, aren't I?

The 7:30am service is the traditional communion service. It's in the "old" chapel (a nice, quaint, cozy place). I rather prefer it, but Lisa is not a morning person. A huge benefit is that it's over by 8:30, which leaves the whole day for me!! :-)

That's not the proper way to look at it, is it?

No comments: