Monday, September 11, 2006

Facts and Truth

Is a fact necessarily and always true?

I'm was struck by this as I was reading a blog called "The Secular Outpost." One of the comments had this as its second paragraph: "Perhaps starting with the fact that we are all separate conciousnesses and we continuously try to find ways to connect with each other." I thought, "Really? That's a fact?"

Dictionary.com offers: something that actually exists; reality; truth

Gosh ... questions tumble from that definition, don't they? "What is existence?" "What is reality?" "What is truth?" Given our discussions of late, it seems that if truth is made shakey, then so does existence and reality.

You're probably shaking your head in violent agreement. Like Spock and the Star Trek episode with the Gorn. You're Spock and I'm Kirk, and I've discovered the sulfer and saltpeter deposits. "Yes. Yes. He gets it." :-)

But I'm not cut adrift by it. In my mind and heart there is an anchor.

No comments: