Friday, September 15, 2006

Spirit

But I've always understood the "Big Bang" theory as that point of singularity having sat there for some period of time -- eternity, or a very long time -- then suddenly going poof.

That's not what the Big Bang Theory says ... it says nothing about any of the instants before it happened. In my Spock-favoured interpretation, as I mentioned in a previous post over a year ago now I think, immediately before The Big Bang the Universe was collapsing to a point.

Things just don't go poof. Something causes them to go poof.

Ah so you do expect a reasonable-to-Bagwell Universe I see :-) Well things may or may not need a cause to go poof, we can't be sure, but by the rationale of what I have just said, perhaps we don't need to have a poof-causer, in the same way that we don't need to have a God-causer.

God will keep the rain from falling on my head, or the cold from harming me.

I think The Bible alludes to just this in a number of passages. But we don't really believe it, which is why we take out insurance and the rest. Have you ever believed that if we truly trusted God then perhaps the rain would not fall on our heads and that the cold would not harm us? ("No, and that is why you fail ..." Yoda to Luke). It's a fine balance between knowing when to let go of the steering wheel of our lives and to let God drive, and when to do some of the driving ourselves and buy insurance don't you think?

Unless the unreasonableness that appears to us is perfectly reasonable to Him that created it.

If that is the case, and the Universe does turn out to be unreasonable, then I don't think I was created in God's image, because I just don't get it. Of course you are correct though - but this thinking won't get me anywhere, it just makes me think that a God who allows all the bad stuff (9/11, tsunamis, cancer, child rape etc etc etc) certainly did not create me in His image. Which is not a good train of thought.

The notion of matter and such always having been there is too much for me to comprehend.

Okay interesting. Your imagination allows for something "not-matter" (ie. God) to have been there always but not matter. But all matter is just energy (see the most famous equation). In your mind there was a time before the Big Bang when just God existed .. but as what? An energy? I guess if it's a "spirit" then we get back to talking about things that are undetected, like souls. We can say whatever we like about undetected things, just like my invisible friend riding on the Unicorn, he's undetected also.

I need to get back to the brainwashing! It really is an eternal struggle between my Spock-me and my Bones-me. "Get back in the box you green blooded, pointy eared ..."

Maybe Gene Roddenberry was onto something with his triune leading cast, maybe he knew we all have these elements within us - perhaps that is ultimately why that particular series works so well? Maybe we are triune in nature which would put us firmly in the camp of being created in God's image. Incidentally wasn't Spock mistaken for some kind of evil devil in one episode ... ? :-) (I can hear Mel Gibson muttering discontent)

PS. Okay I had better explain the Mel Gibson reference there ..

1. Star Trek .. Kirk (The Father), Spock (The Son), Bones (The Holy Spirit)
2. In an episode of Star Trek Spock (The Son) was associated with Satan
3. The Jews thought of Christ (The Son) as a false profit (associated with Satan)
4. Mel Gibson (when drunk) appears to have anti-semitic leanings, if you believe the tabloids

No comments: