Saturday, September 09, 2006

"It's a Miracle!"

I'll also agree with you that many, many things that people say are "miracles" are not. They may very well have a natural explanation. But that doesn't mean that miracles can't happen. It just means that in many cases people mislabel the event.

Contemporary society has hijacked the term ... a baby born is "a miracle" when in fact it's a quite natural thing. A fortuitous event is proclaimed "a miracle" when in fact it just happened to be an unexpectedly fortunate thing.

I'm trying to think if I've ever experienced anything in my life I could claim was "a miracle" in the more strict definition of the word. I can't. I can think of numerous times when it was clear to me that God was at work, but the manifestation of his work with through natural means.

C.S. Lewis (again ... I know I refer to him excessively) wrote a book called Miracles. It's thick and wordy and largely beyond my comprehension. But he starts the book in an interesting way: by approaching the question of whether one believes miracles can happen. Not do happen, but can happen. Some people, he wrote, may well believe miracles simply can't occur. Those people he labeled naturalists. He didn't ridicule or condemn those who thought that way ... he merely pointed out that discussing the topic of miracles must first start from that point -- can they occur; and if so, then do they occur.

No comments: