Monday, September 04, 2006

The Meaning of Words

What if you don't believe that God exists, is it still possible to do the latter? What if you live in a tribe that has never heard of God?

No. And no. Their notion of "love" -- just like mine and most everyone's -- is tainted by selfish motivation. That is the nature of man. What the Bible says is that only by placing God at the center of our lives can we hope to turn the love of God himself outwards from ourselves. Absent that, we are who we are ... which is not what God wants us to be.

You can disagree with that. I see it as a foundational Biblical principle. It's either right, or the whole of the Bible and Christianity is wrong.

This is tied to the Biblical notion of "Grace," which is not simply forgiveness. Grace has as much to do with the ongoing activity of God in my life as it has to do with forgiveness. The Bible clearly teaches that all people -- believers and not -- are beneficiaries of God's Grace. Those who center their lives around God receive it "in abundance." (That concept has been corrupted by some who turn "Grace" into meaning simply material gain in this lifetime, which is an awful reading of Scripture.)

* * *
I was positing that maybe the behaviour of creature A could be the definition of "evil" - even if it has no possibility to do otherwise.

I don't believe so. My view is that "evil" is all about the free choice to commit the wrong; the ability to know that something is wrong and the free choice to not do it. A one-celled organism operating at the bio-molecular level, has no such understanding, in my opinion. Therefore it is not "evil." I would rather define "evil" as the knowing and willing exercise of thoughts, deeds and actions contrary to what God would have us do. Yes, there's a ton of wiggle room in that.

* * *
Love - I am very uncomfortable with boiling love down to a set of behaviours. "Love" is something more undefinable to me.

I don't believe I was suggesting love is a simple set of behaviors. I was suggesting that the path towards being able to "love one's neighbor" has to start somewhere. I was suggesting that Willard's definition is an instructive tool. I'm confident he meant it as such, and not the final definition of what God means by "love."

My problem with saying the "love is undefinable" is that it then allows people to make of it whatever they wish. Today the word "love" is utterly empty. Doubt me? Look around. What does "love" mean in contemporary society? I'll guarantee it has little -- if anything -- to do with the other and almost everything to do with one's self. You poll the MTV-generation and I'll wager their definition of love is more closely related to "desire."

Try talking to one of these people about "loving your neighbor" and watch the puzzled look wash over their face. If "love" is tied too closely to selfish desire, then the idea of "loving my neighbor" is a function of what that neighbor can do to satisfy my wants. But talk to them about "love" being the conscious act of doing what we know is good for the other and it becomes understandable and approachable. Perhaps not agreeable, but approachable. Get them to grasp this minor point and the meta-theme of Jesus on the cross becomes approachable as well.

By the way, the problem with "Do unto others" or "Treat others as you would them treat you" is that it too has become an empty phrase. The words are there, but few people have given it much thought. They are aware of it; they don't really comprehend it. When one explanation doesn't work, it's time to try another.

* * *
So Mr Dallas doesn't help me in this area. CS Lewis said that if one starts acting in a certain way then they'll end up believing it, even if they didn't really at the start. But isn't that tantamount to brainwashing - an activity which leads to people flying planes into buildings?

"Brainwashing" is, of course, a loaded word -- full of negative meaning.

But brainwashing isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on the nature of what is being taught. You "brainwash" your daughter every time you interact with her; you are guiding her in thoughts and behaviors you believe are right, proper and good for her. No responsible parent would do otherwise. From what I understand, kids crave that from parents, particularly early on.

Acting in a "certain way" may well lead to believing it, even if I didn't initially ... what's wrong with that? Ten years ago I didn't believe in Jesus, now I do. I didn't get there by flicking a switch. Was I wrong to engage in repetitive activities (study, contemplation) that ultimately took me to Christ? If that's brainwashing, then I thank God for it.

* * *
Never follow a leader without asking your own questions.

I ask plenty of my own questions. As for Dallas Willard, I've read three of his books, and spent considerable time comparing his teaching against what I have come to understand from others and the Bible itself. I'll tell you that I have -- and still do -- some question about Mr. Willard's views on justification. I am not following him blindly.

That said, I'm not willing to simply ignore what he has to say for no good reason. The man has decades of experience in the Christian life, and to the best of my ability to discern it is a record not blemished by pride, ego or lust. It appears to be a life committed sincerely to Christ. I am moved by his gentleness and caring demeanor.

I am sensitive to boastfulness and conceit, and I see/read/hear of none of that regarding Mr. Willard. Therefore, I am willing to grant him some benefit of the doubt and perhaps learn a thing or two from him.

I am sufficiently skeptical and cynical ... but I will not allow myself to become excessively so. It is corrosive to my soul.

* * *
I can't do it, but don't judge or discern - I believe that we should let God discern, this is what The Christ message says to me - just love your neighbour.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means. I think most people don't. Increasingly it has come to mean "accept them regardless of their behavior." Usually the motivation for that "acceptance" is really an attempt at making myself more acceptable. That is a major vulnerability in our society. It is being exploited by those who would do us harm.

The result of that is people flying airplanes into buildings.

Incidentally, may I ask whether "asking your own questions" is itself a form of discernment and judgment?

No comments: