Sunday, September 10, 2006

Mr. Lewis

Shame on him! A failure of nerve or a failure of imagination - or both?

Well, first of all that was me speaking when I wrote "I doubt Lewis was entertaining the notion of time travelers or alien visitors at the time of Jesus when he wrote the book." Pure speculation on my part. He may very well have entertained the notion of both. I recall him writing once addressing the question of whether Jesus' death offered salvation to just us on earth or other planets as well. I don't recall his answer ... but I do recall (I think) toying with the question.

Or maybe it was you in this blog ... I get so confused sometimes. :-)

He wrote three fiction books that someone on Wikipedia termed "The Space Trilogy". As mentioned in that article, "The books are not especially concerned with scientific accuracy or technological speculation, and in many ways they read like fantasy adventures. Like most of Lewis's mature writing, they have a thoroughly Christian outlook and much discussion of contemporary rights and wrongs." I've not read any of them. I offer that simply to give evidence to the possibility that Lewis at least thought about life on other planets.

* * *
I'm always astounded by any Christian (Gibson or otherwise) who is anti-semitic on the grounds that The Jews killed Jesus Christ.

Ding! +1 for deep.thought. Similarly, I've never quite understood why people -- typically on Good Friday -- seem to think it was an avoidable tragedy that Jesus died.

* * *
I just spent 1 hour and $15 constructing a home-made lumbar support for my motorcycle. A aftermarket seat with backrest is $620; a combination luggage/backest bag -- pretty ingenious, actually -- is $150. Mine consists of a wood frame and a clearance sale throw pillow, all wrapped up in a duffel bag and strapped down with a bungee cord. No points for style, but it's effective.

No comments: