Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Reverse Osmosis Brainwashing

One message I get from The Bible is "believe in The Bible", don't discern that it may be incorrect.

While I can see where you're coming from, it might be of interest to you that those I hold in regard -- Lewis, Stott, Packer, Sproul, Begg, Willard -- all advocate use of the mind. Not a one suggests we are to put our brains on the shelf. If they had, trust me I would not be holding them in much regard.

Regarding your statement about the Bible, a lot depends on what "it may be incorrect" means. I've long since dropped any concern whether Jonah really spent three days in the belly of a fish, or whether the snake that bit Paul's hand was poisonous or not (Acts 28:3-6), for example. What I have chosen to believe -- but I can't prove (and anyone who says they can is a fool) -- is that the Bible conveys the essential truth God wishes to be conveyed. Yes, it's an act of faith. But I don't believe it is an unwise or foolish act of faith.

I say that she needs to make up her own mind about whether a God exists or not. I explain to her why I believe He does and she can disagree with me without fear of discernment (judgement) on my part that she will "get into trouble", many children of religious parents are not shown this courtesy, I have seen it.

You may be suprised to find out that I agree with you. Jamming a rigid dogma down the throat of a child isn't likely to yield many positive results. But at the same time, I hope you'd agree that a Christian parent should not hide their faith and hope their child stumbles upon their own version of Christianity later. Showing by example is part of parenting, is it not?

Further, I would hope the Christian parent doesn't present their faith as merely "one of many" that may be chosen from, as if they are simply interchangeable options.

My cousin, who is a believer and a thinking man, has three children. He is raising them in a Christian atmosphere. But I have heard him say that when it comes to whether they will come to the personal decision to follow Jesus, it will be their decision, not his. He prays they will make the decision for Christ. But he knows he can't force it.

And I agree with excessive cynicism being a bad thing - but how much trust can I place in Mr Dallas or Lewis or Alastair? They haven't given all their money away to charity have they?

Not to my knowledge, but then again I don't agree with you that that's the true measure of faith. But along those lines, I will share with you that John R. W. Stott has lived a rather austere life, despite his books having earned millions. Alistair Begg draws a salary of only $60K from what is a multi-million dollar ministry operation. C.S. Lewis also lived a rather simple life, choosing to use his fortune for others. Willard is a professor of philosophy at USC, but to my knowledge does not live an ostentatious life. But none of them went the route of complete asceticism.

Why do you feel "giving all their money away" is the true mark of discipleship? If I were to do that then my parents, who depend on my financial support, would be put into great hardship. Do you believe that is what Jesus would have me do?

No comments: