Thursday, September 14, 2006

Deep.Freud

Two quick initial points:
  1. You've invented a new branch of psycho-analysis. Freud had his obsession with sex; Jung his obsessions with ... well, whatever; and now you have the Spock/Bones personality alignment hypothesis. :-)
  2. Kudos on the picture ... that episode is one of my most favorite and one of my least favorite ... simultaneously. I like the whole "McCoy getting massive knowledge infusion, performing brain surgery and then slowly losing it" motif. "Of course. Of course. A child could do it." But that whole "men up top, women down below" thing was silly. But the female leader had her moments of 60's hotness.
Can I ask why it is that you (the Spock-you) dismisses this eternal repeating cycle as not persuasive but does not dismiss the possibility of an eternal being that has always existed?

I anticipated you'd ask this question. It's a dilemma. I have no rational reason. To the extent I have a reason, it's based on a notion that all physical reality is created. The notion of matter and such always having been there is too much for me to comprehend.

I'd be more inclined to accept the "repeating cycles" thing if the hypothesis stated that the universe collapsed down to a singularity, then immediately exploded back out. But I've always understood the "Big Bang" theory as that point of singularity having sat there for some period of time -- eternity, or a very long time -- then suddenly going poof. Things just don't go poof. Something causes them to go poof.

This sounds similar to your critique of certain Christians. They are happy to take salvation-rights but are not happy to follow the doctrine. Again - why is one ok and not the other?

I don't agree that it is the same. I hold that Christians should follow the doctrine because that's what God commands them to do. What about science would command me to elevate science to the role of God? My phrasing was vague, but that was my meaning.

Note: please note that I hold very few essential doctrines as unarguable. But one central doctrine of the Christian faith is that salvation is through faith in the works of Jesus Christ, not me. Many "Christians" are claiming the salvation-rights while disobeying God's commandment to believe in his Son. I'd like to claim my motivation was sincere concern for their souls, but I'll be honest -- it's really more a matter of my not respecting their thought process. Shame on me.

And please tell me, do you buy insurance? :-)

I'm supposing what you mean by that is that the buying of insurance is an act of distrust that God will provide. Well, then let's extend the analogy. Why work? Why try to provide for my family? Why have a house -- God will keep the rain from falling on my head, or the cold from harming me.

An unreasonable Universe has no place for God in my humble opinion.

Unless the unreasonableness that appears to us is perfectly reasonable to Him that created it.

No comments: