Tuesday, September 12, 2006

At What Point Does It Become Uncertain?

If I accept that the universe if "probabilistic rather than deterministic" at the quantum level, does it necessarily follow that things at the bigger level are still probabilistic? I mean, the Newtonian laws still apply for things like planetary orbits and such, correct? And the flight of a ballistic object is entirely predictable if the environment (wind, air temperature, gravitation force, etc.) is known. I'm sitting at this keyboard ... there is nothing "probabilistic" about it ... it's real; it's right here.

So my question is ... so things behave weirdly down at the quantum level. They clearly do not behave that way up at our level. At what point does that phenomenon stop?

Note: And don't say, "How do you know it's not happening at our level?" Because I'm going to hold you to the very standard of "proof" you seem to hold me. It's not evident; it can't be measured; it can't be repeated. :-)

No comments: