Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Problem

I've finally worked out why my Spock-me fundamentally disagrees with all of the good folk (Lewis, Sproul, Willard etc) who argue for the existence of God (any flavour) on the grounds of reason.

It's because all of their logical deductions are based on an initial illogical assumption. The illogical assumption is this:

"The Universe exists so must have been created. However we assume that the creator of the Universe did not need a creator himself".

This illogical assumption is fine for Bones-me but Spock-me cannot build a theology on an illogical assumption, therefore Church is no place for Spock-me.

For Spock-me to accept the illogical assumption, as Bones-me does, would mean the death of Spock-me, Bones-me on the other hand is smart enough to know that an initial illogical assumption might actually be correct. Bones-me doesn't give a hoot about the argument for religion on the grounds of reason, because Bones-me doesn't need a reason to believe. So both my Spock-me and my Bones-me (all of me) reject any arguments for God on the grounds of reason.

Spock-me cannot subscribe to wondeful self-consistent theologies built upon an illogical assumption.

PS. I'm getting these posts in now as I'm off to Croatia next week, woefully underprepared as usual :-) My motivation for IT stuff is on the wane.

No comments: