Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Trustworthy God?

... if having things is a sign of weak faith, why was not Jesus at least as poor as the poorest around him?

I don't think that Jesus' monetary position is relevant really - he could have had all the money in the world if he had wanted to - or nothing at all. I think he had just enough for the 3 1/2 years of his ministry, enough to allow his disciples to survive, to help the poor but not too much to cause jealousy, although no doubt Judas had his hand in the pot.

I think we're meant to do what Jesus tells us, like the Matthew passage I quoted. In terms of trusting that God will look after us if we give up our financial wealth there is also Luke 22:35

Et dixit eis quando misi vos sine sacculo et pera et calciamentis numquid aliquid defuit vobis at illi dixerunt nihil

(Oh no I'm turning Catholic !) We'll be ok if we gave it all up, but we don't really believe that, we think we'll be worse off, well I do anyway.

I'll take the less challenging bits of the religion, like the utility I really use it as. I might make up some stuff to assuage my conscience also, but inside I know I have not succeeded in trusting God, so I'll need to keep positively brainwashing myself.

No comments: