Tuesday, September 05, 2006

On a Serious Note

I'm playing advocate in the last several posts. I'm trying to find the weakness in your argument. Now if I had a red phone connection to my man R.C., you'd be in trouble. :-)

However, please allow me to say this -- be very, very careful with the message of "giving it all away" around new believers. Nowhere in scripture does it say that giving up all your own is an activity that earns salvation or righteousness; it does not necessarily prove one's faith. It merely helps foster faith and obedience by removing an impediment. That's the message of Matthew 19:21. It's part and parcel to the message of cutting off one's hand if it sins, or gouging out one's eyeball.

But the more critical thing is that "wolves in sheep's clothing" -- false prophets and teachers -- love to prey on weak believers with that siren call. You and I are both aware of the countless stories of people giving up all they had to some television preacher, only to be left penniless, destitute and often helpless. The Bible offers no assurance of God rescuing people who are taken in by such false teachers. The Bible rather sternly warns against being taken in by such people.

I am not saying you're a false teacher ... I'm saying a new believer who does not fully comprehend what you're getting at may take away the wrong message, and thus become vulnerable to others who would take advantage of them. Satan must love it ... the sense of betrayal that must foster in a person must surely ruin them for life.

No comments: