Thursday, September 14, 2006

Exhibit A for the Jury

I would have thought that quantum entanglement was neutral on the existence of God? Explain yourself please kind sir!

I tend to see anything of the created order that's complicated and elegant as evidence for God's existence. To me, those tend to diminish the plausibility of all things being simply "by chance." I'm sure I told you that it was the book "Ascent of Science" and the chapter on the molecular mechanics of the cell that sparked my search. I read that and thought, "It can't be just by accident. It can't."

On a related point, what is the best evidence out there for God?

There's no hard evidence, of course. The Bible alludes to four sources of knowledge of God:
  1. The created order around us -- this is the "Wow" effect when looking up at the stars
  2. The conviction in our hearts -- when we know we should not do something
  3. The Bible -- as a written record of His work
  4. Jesus -- as a human reflection of God
I'll be the first to admit that none of these are things that I could lay on the table and have someone say, "Well, you got me there ... okay, I believe." They're all things that require an initial assumption that the existence of God is a possibility. From there all require some act of faith (trust) to believe them.

They're not an atomic group, either -- I can see how someone could agree with 1 but reject 3 and 4. And the possible interpretations of God from just 1 and 2 are quite varied.

Another source of evidence is direct revelation. Both you and I claim this, but in different forms. I personally think this is given to augment the other sources rather than replace them. But that's just my opinion.

We've had this discussion before ... but it seems that God never intended "proof" of his existence to be available us. The Bible has stories of a few who were given that -- Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Paul. But many in the Bible were not.

Of course, the skeptic can claim this lack of irrefutable proof is proof itself of God's non-existence.

What are you views on this topic?

No comments: