Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Pleasure/Pain Principle

LOL @ the soup. It's a fine broth I will agree.

The English philosopher Thomas Hobbes (1588-1679) is today best known for his political thought. His vision of the world is strikingly original and still relevant to contemporary politics (so BBC Radio 4 tells me).

Hobbes's work: he possibly thinks of human beings as mechanical objects, programmed as it were to pursue their self-interest. Some have suggested that Hobbes's mechanical world-view leaves no room for the influence of moral ideas, that that he thinks the only effective influence on our behavior are incentives of pleasure and pain.

Thoughts?

25 years this week since Lennon was shot http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/lennon.shtml
I was living above a shop in London at the time and clearly remember hearing the news on the radio as I was getting ready for sixth form school that morning. I recall feeling shocked shocked shocked and wondered what this news meant for the world. And in fact, Lennon being murdered led me to .... but that's another story :-)

I wonder how long Chapman would last if he ever gets out of Attica State? Less than a week I would guess.

No comments: