Friday, December 02, 2005

Marines

First, if the "Cambrian Explosion" was due to a species dump by an external source with the intent of populating the earth ... then I would say that was "by design," and it was done with some "intelligence." I don't know if that was really the case, but if so, then it explains things a whole lot better than natural selection explains it.

Randomness is an illusion. There ... I've said it. :-)

* * *

Second, anything produced by Michael Moore is to be suspect. I don't know the specifics of that particular scene, but it was probably edited to maximize the negativity. I don't like Mr. Moore at all ... he is the epitome of a low-class hypocrite. He has made millions off the "ambush" style of "documentary," yet when someone tried to make a movie about him using the same technique, he was very abusive. He complains about "corporate greed" yet makes millions off his movies but does not pay his production company people anything more than the minimum he has to. And for all his talk about Halliburton being an evil company, the man felt it worthy enough to own its stock.

Nope ... don't like him at all.

* * *

In a perfect world we would not need to have Marines. The world is not perfect. Someone once said something to the effect, "I sleep better at night knowing there are violent men ready to do harm to keep me safe." There is truth in that. I don't wish to glorify the "violent men" aspect, but I do think it a useful thing that such men -- who by their nature are probably that way -- are constrained within a ethos of honor and integrity. Otherwise, they might well be the evil men you say makes having the Marines a necessity.

No comments: