Wednesday, December 14, 2005

If Proof Were Available

I see the point you're making. It is akin to this:

If a wrapped box were placed in front of me, and in that box was an absolutely failsafe proof of the Truth of only one of today's religions, would I want to open that box?

There's a certain apprehension in that ... I have an enormous amount invested in the "truth" of Christianity. What would happen to my world if I opened that box and the answer written on the card was, "Islam" or "Buddhism?" I'll confess to not knowing for certain what I'd do if faced with that choice.

  • On the one hand, there is a certain appeal to knowing for certain, once and for all
  • On the other hand, there is considerable fear at finding out I was wrong

Now, that said, the "what if" we're playing here is quite a bit different from the lament I posted earlier. There the scenario would be:

It doesn't matter what the card inside the box says. I don't believe there can be such a thing as "Truth," therefore the card may be right, or it may be wrong. We can't know

What I am saying is: "I accept that the card in the box is factually true. I am simply afraid to know the truth for fear that it doesn't align with my accepted notion of it."

By the way, I don't claim any moral high ground by admitting this. But I suspect I'm not that much different from most people, if they were to be honest.

No comments: