Saturday, December 03, 2005

Horsies and Duckies

Good grief ... quantum bytes? Computers based on massive arrays of quantum states?

It's too much ... too much ... too much.

I recall the manual that came with the first IBM PC ... it had cartoon pictures of ducks. Now that is the level of complexity I want to go back to.

Bah ... quantum state computers. Bah!

* * *
With regard to the movie, "War of the Worlds" ... Lisa brought up a good point. If this supposedly superior alien race had been watching us for millions years, you'd think they would have been smart enough to analyze our air and water to make sure they weren't going to expose themselves to harm.

Gosh ... even the original Star Trek series did that! "Class M atmosphere, Captain."

Plus ... why is it every Spielberg representation of an alien species is long and spindly with big slanted eyes? Everyone knows that vastly superior species are going to be elderly white men wearing shimmering white robes that dissipate into a pure energy field. That's what always happened on Star Trek. They're always pacifist, and they sit around in committee groupings. One speaks for the group, the rest sit there mute. Spock is fascinated by the "pure energy, Captain" aspect of it; Kirk ends up having the bemused smirk on his face that says, "They may be smarter pure-energy beings, but I get that hot Yoman Rand chick."

* * *
I tend to like spoken word on my MP3 player (a Rio Forge with 512MB of flash) rather than music. I have music on it, but when I'm sitting on a plane, the best way to occupy my brain is to have something to think about, not just listen to. So I've loaded up on some MP3's from my man R.C. Sproul. :-)

One of the things I like about the Rio is that it takes a single AAA battery. I don't like the idea of a rechargable built-in battery. If I'm on a plane halfway between Dallas and NYC, and my battery goes dead, all I have to do now is go into my backpack and grab another AAA. With the others, I have to think about recharging the built-in battery before trips. No problem, if I remember. But there'll be a day I don't.

"Well," you might say. "You have to remember to have a supply of AAA's."

...

...

...

Oh, shut up.

:-)

No comments: