Thursday, December 08, 2005

Genius

Honest question to you, bar the upbringing (sans Tom Brown's school days and Flashman) .. do you think that you are a genius? Here is what John Lennon said when asked during the Rolling Stone interview:

Do you think you're a genius?

Yes, if there is such a thing as one, I am one.

People like me are aware of their so-called genius at ten, eight, nine. . . . I always wondered, ``Why has nobody discovered me?'' In school, didn't they see that I'm cleverer than anybody in this school? That the teachers are stupid, too? That all they had was information that I didn't need? I got f*****' lost in being at high school. I used to say to me auntie, ``You throw my f*****' poetry out, and you'll regret it when I'm famous, '' and she threw the b****rd stuff out. I never forgave her for not treating me like a f*****' genius or whatever I was, when I was a child. It was obvious to me. Why didn't they put me in art school? Why didn't they train me? Why would they keep forcing me to be a f******' cowboy like the rest of them? I was different, I was always different. Why didn't anybody notice me? A couple of teachers would notice me, encourage me to be something or other, to draw or to paint - express myself. But most of the time they were trying to beat me into being a f******' dentist or a teacher. And then the f*****' fans tried to beat me into being a f*****' Beatle or an Engelbert Humperdinck, and the critics tried to beat me into being Paul McCartney.

++++

I just wondered - I am certainly not a genius. Perhaps a Salieri to your Mozart pal.

I hope all went well in the Big Apple for ya, rest in peace John Winston Lennon, I guess I would have stopped by Strawberry Fields today had I been there.

No comments: