Thursday, December 01, 2005

Bucket of Responses

Most Beautiful

I like that picture. But then again, I've always had a soft-spot for asian women. :-)

I'll measure "most beautiful" based on my emotional response to it. It's not a perfect barometer, but it's certainly one measure, and it'll work for the time being.
  • Masculine honor and integrity, particularly when it's done strongly but gently, and most particularly when it's sacrificial. Don't know why ... I'm powerfully affected by this.
  • The point in the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special" where Linus finishes quoting Luke 2:8-14. Linus recited that passage in response to Charlie Brown's plea, "Won't somebody tell me what Christmas is all about?" Linus walks back across the silent stage to where Charlie Brown is standing and, in the most remarkably gentle voice I can imagine, says "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown." In that one portrayal I see selfless kindness (Linus), myself (Charlie Brown), and the touch of God ... all in one.
  • The song, "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."
  • A cute girl in glasses ... but I digress. :-)
Let X= ...

You seem to be saying that within the realm of mathematics, it's possible to simply assert "Let X = 1" and it is so. Your argument then appears to be that in the physical world saying "Bill is a boy" is more problematic. Further, constructing a logical argument on the conditional if makes the subsequent argument suspectible to collapse. My counter is simply that the same holds true in the realm of mathematics. The assertion "Let X = " can be challenged.

Unless, of course, what you're really saying is that by saying "Let X =" what's really being said is, if X= ...

Intelligent Design

I like this article. It seems to sum up my viewpoint on ID vs. evolution nicely.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/bethell200512010829.asp

No comments: