Friday, December 02, 2005

Changing the World

Perhaps I'm just too much of a cynic. While I agree in principle to the notion of striving for a better world through educating parents so children will grow up "better," I hold no hope whatever that such a thing will ever succeed. The past 40 years (or perhaps more) has been devoted to the notion of "improving" conditions. Things are arguably worse now than before.

I hold no hope whatever that mankind can correct by itself what is its fundamental problem -- a "heart" that is inherently broken by sin. Most people will scoff at that, but history bears the truth of it.

I'm not sure I agree that admiring the attributes of the Marines -- courage, honor, integrity -- is the same thing as "glorifying war." That such people exist in a world that unfortunately requires them is simply an added benefit.

Yes, I suppose I should "love" Michael Moore. That is not, however, the same as being pleased with the type of person he is or the things he does. However, I don't have a clue what the distinction is ... in other words, I have no idea how to love someone I can't stand.

No comments: