Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Simpsons


Is such a strong show. It appears to take a dim view of organized religion however, with The Simpsons Church trying to out-do the up-market Episcopalian Church down the road.

There have been some classic anti-Christianity jokes from Ned:

(Before a hurricane arrives in Springfield:) "Ooh, I better take down the manger scene. If Baby Jesus got loose, He could really do some damage!"


and

(After the hurricane in which Ned's house is totalled:) "Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been nice to people! I don't drink or dance or swear! I've even kept kosher, just to be on the safe side. I've done everything the Bible says; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more could I do?


Now you have me thinking what my favourite scene is ... the episode you refer to is from way back - season 4's Treehouse of Horror special (my daughters favourites by the way, with the three short stories). In fact Homer opens that episode warning folks to turn off their TV's if of delicate dispositions "There are some cry-babies out there, religious types mainly, who may be offended". The show does obtain material from pretty much every major movie there has ever been I think.

Watching the show with an 8 year old means that I focus more on Maggie than I otherwise might - the sequence where she is put in kindergarten and has her dummy (or pacifier) removed is awesome. She goes on a mission (with "The Great Escape" movie music playing in the background) to rescue her little red sucking dummy. When she gets caught she's punished by being put in "The Box" (an enclosed playpen) and just before she goes in there another tot throws her a baseball which she bounces against the netting just like Steve McQueen in the referenced movie. Hilarious.

All the characters are marvellous. Who hasn't got something of a Simpsons character in them? "Vegas Mom", lol. And the way 10-year old Bart calls his dad "Homer" - priceless. The (Richard Gere) episode where Lisa became a Buddhist and sat under her Bodi tree, but still wanted a pony for Christmas is sooo funny. When they do British accents they're from the 19th Century (Bart's "Claimed he was me father he did, poke the monster with a stick"), parodying the way that Americans think of Great Britain.

All priceless.



No comments: