Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Simpsons and Religion

You wrote:
It appears to take a dim view of organized religion however
It's true! But the difference is they poke fun at the stereotype without condemning the underlying faith. In other words, they're making fun of Christians but they're not making fun of Christ. That's a key distinction. Other shows (like South Park) cross that line.

Note: but that doesn't stop me from finding South Park to be brilliant and hillarious, in a manner more crude than The Simpsons.

I've long pondered the difference between religion and faith. I view "religion" as the human exercise of rites and rituals; I view "faith" as the deepest of beliefs. It's an imprecise definition, to be sure. But it touches on the things made fun of in The Simpsons.
"Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been nice to people! I don't drink or dance or swear! I've even kept kosher, just to be on the safe side. I've done everything the Bible says; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more could I do? - Ned Flanders
All stereotypes have a basis in reality, and here the writers of the Simpsons are playing off an unfortunately all-too-real stereotype of the typical "religious" Christian. Notice the focus of Ned's justification: his own works. That's "religion." Those in the Catholic Church are, too often, utterly wrapped up in the trappings with Jesus completely lost in the background.

"Faith" is a difficult word to pin down. It's more than "belief." It's more akin to "trust," though even that word lacks the depth I have in mind. Perhaps "committed trust," or "trust with certainty of conviction."

Properly understood, the Christian faith has very few articles of "religion." The sacrament of communion being one; the sacrament of baptism being a second, I suppose. But even both of those are, strictly speaking, unnecessary. All the strife and all the denominationalism that has occurred over time all resulted because people misunderstood this. Humans have some inherent need to "be religious," I guess ... and they tend to impute necessity into rituals.

Here's where a "tension" (my favorite word) exists -- there is a temptation to take that to an extreme, holding that since religious practices like attending church, or taking communion, are not strictly required, they are therefore not important. Jesus instituted the sacrament of communion as a way to focus our minds and hearts on him. Focusing ourselves on Jesus is necessary. Communion is a tool to assist in that, but it is not the only avenue to achieve that focus. If I don't take communion in any given week or month does not "deduct from my merits" in some way. But that's not to say I should consider communion of no value.

* * *
One of my favorite comic strips was Doonesbury back in the 1970's. It's since crossed the line into foolish liberal politics, but back then it had some creativity and wit. One strip -- I wish I could find it -- had the hip, 60's priest introducing the annual Christmas pageant The scene in all four panels was a stage with a manger and this priest. He was introducing the various players in panels one through three, and for the fourth panel he said, "And the part of the baby Jesus will be played by a 40-watt light bulb." That was brilliant!

No comments: