Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day Eve?

Was your last post a reference to a Simpson's episode? I'm in Chicago right now, and The Simpson's are on TV. Homer is all excited about "Father's Day Eve," and Marge has to remind him that "there is no such thing as 'Father's Day Eve.'"

* * *
John 5:31 and John 8:14 -- on the flight from Atlanta to Chicago I read and re-read those two verses and the surrounding passages. My sense is there's a contextual difference there:
  • In John 5:31 Jesus is trying to draw attention away from his human nature and toward's The Father. My impression is he's saying, paraphrased: "Look, if it was just me ... Jesus the carpenter ... and I was standing here saying things about myself ... then sure, it'd be bogus because it would be just me bragging on myself. But it's not just me ... in fact there's not much of me here at all ... it's all God."
  • In John 8:14 Jesus is drawing attention to his divine nature. Again, paraphrased: "I'm not just Jesus the carpenter, I'm God incarnate, and I speak with the full authority of God. So yes, my singular testimony is valid because I'm God."
But that's just my reading of it. Take it for what it's worth.

* * *
This past weekend I was in Atlanta, accompanying my lovely wife to a reunion of sorts. Twenty years ago when L. lived in Atlanta, she was part of a church singles group. Over the years the various members of that group have remained friends, and have gotten married -- some marriages between members of the group, but most involving someone from outside the group. The trip to Atlanta was for a wedding shower for one of the members who got married. Yes, past tense -- "got." The wedding was last year. The shower was this weekend. Go figure. :-)

Here's the kicker, though -- the groom was someone L. dated for a half year or so prior to meeting me. So I'm standing there watching L. hug a "past boyfriend."

I teased her -- "There is no way you'd allow me to go to some get-together for a past girlriend. No way at all." She didn't disagree.

Aren't double-standards grand? :-)

* * *
Flaw in "treat others as you'd like to be treated?" -- suppose somone truly doesn't mind if people are rude to them because that justifies their being rude to others. That's not really "masochistic." Strictly speaking, they are following the "treat others as you wish to be treated."

What's the problem with my analysis? Discuss.

No comments: