Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Who You Callin' a Buddhist?

Sorry to hear about your leg and your ear. I can't imagine what it would be like to have persistent pain like that. I can only extrapolate, based on minor pain endured for a short time.

* * *
You wrote:
You've said twice recently words to the effect of "accept what is" or "what will be, will be". This strikes me as very Buddhist and not Christian at all. What are you up to buddy? :-)
No, I'm not going Buddhist. What I'm getting at -- in a ham-fisted way -- is an expression of my general awareness of God's sovereignty. Christians can get themselves all tangled up in knots over The Da Vinci Code, but the reality is God is not affected by it. He is not limited, stymied or frustrated by it. People can make whatever claim they want about Christ ... but nothing they say changes the reality of Christ. He is who he is; we can't alter it.

I don't see that as a "throw my hands in the air" type of sentiment. It's really more an investment in the hope that is God as the "Rock of Ages," the "Fortress," or whatever metaphor for unchanging permanence one chooses to use.

* * *
Yeah, "brisket" is a great word, isn't it? I hadn't thought of it, but it's true!

Brisket! Brisket! Brisket!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisket

* * *
"The Simpsons" is a cultural phenomenon -- not only has it lasted 17+ years, but it has stayed current without being current -- that is, they don't rely on heavy references to current events. Passing references, yes; direct references no.

My favorite scene of all time was when Bart's dressed up as Alex from "Clockwork Orange" for Halloween. The reference to the movie and to the character was fleeting and subtle. I rolled on the floor.

* * *
I wish you could find a deeper sense of appreciation for the validity of the Bible. I continue to be amazed at the very subtle connections I find all the time. My mind is able to "see" interrelatedness and conceptual associations, though I'm not always able to articulate them. All I can say is that in the Bible I see the most amazing patterns. Remarkable interplay. No human author could do it ... I'm convinced.

That doesn't mean I'm living it, though. That's my dilemma.

No comments: