Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More on Contradictions

I do read your posts. I don't necessary remember them. Don't forget, I have a few years on you, pal ... my brain cells have had more time to diminish and shrivel.

* * *
My "official" response to the charge of contradictions in the Bible is this: "There are no contradictions; the Bible does not contradict itself. There are things that are difficult, but with proper analysis and study the difficulties can be explained."

Now, that said, I will also say that in my pre-Christian days I would have rolled my eyes at that. I would have thought, "Well, that's a convenient answer, hmmm?"

But I'm a bit further along the path now compared to where I was then, and I am starting to see that whole of the Bible in a broader context. But I'm not very good at taking specific examples of supposed contradictions and arguing on their behalf. Others are much better than me.

Minds far more brilliant than mine have wrestled with those supposed contradictions for 2000 years, and to the best of my knowledge the Bible has not been undeniably refuted yet. In fact, I doubt there's a single criticism of the Bible floating around today that hasn't surfaced at least once in 2000 years and been dealt with already.

Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" does not count as serious criticism. :-)

And besides, Ned Flanders is a confused soul. :-)

* * *
Who's the "favourite" in this year's World Cup? I see that the U.S.A. got skunked by, I think, the Czech Republic.

I don't understand football (soccer). But I do respect the athletes who play it. It requires motor skills I don't possess, hand/foot/eye coordination I don't possess, and physical stamina I've never possessed.

In what will appear to be a wild tangent ... but it's not ... my understanding is the most physically demanding sport -- the one that requires the greatest physical conditioning and will draw down the bodies reserve of cardio-vascular strength the most -- is ... boxing. It has something to do with the explosive energy needed to deliver the punches. The punches received no doubt exact a toll as well. Superior muscle conditioning is probably needed to absorb / deflect the punches.

No comments: