Thursday, June 01, 2006

Reading and the Human Mind

Ever seen something like this:
"cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!"
I found it quite easy to read that once I understood what was going on. Then the words just "appeared" in my mind. Some words were more easy to interpret than others. For example, the "Amzanig" was instantly recognizable as "Amazing" probably because the first two letters were correctly aligned. But "slpeling" was a bit tougher because the first two letters formed a consonant combination I was familiar with -- "sl" as in "slippery" or "slope" -- and my mind tried to find words in that rough category.

I've seen illustrations of where the human mind reads only the top of the English alphabet. Words where the bottom half are cut off are easy to read; where the top half is missing is almost impossible. I don't know if the same holds for other languages.

No comments: