Sunday, June 25, 2006

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Ever thought of becoming a poet with your description of a chess game !? LOL.

+++

Note that these choices do not necessarily reflect my favourite song by said artistes.

British Artists

  • Beatles HARD! "Help!"
  • Rolling Stones "Satisfaction"
  • The Who "My Generation"
  • Led Zeppelin "Stairway ..."
  • Eric Clapton "Layla"
  • U2 "Pride (In The Name of Love)"
  • Kinks "Lola" (Maybe "You really got me"?)
  • Dire Straits "Money For Nothing"
  • Deep Purple "Smoke On The Water"
  • Oasis "Wonderwall"
  • Pretenders "Brass In Pocket"
  • Black Sabbath "Paranoid" (Maybe "Iron Man" if you're American)
  • The Clash "Should I stay .." (But SO inferior to "Rock The Casbah") R.I.P Joe.

American Artists

  • Aretha Franklin "Say A Little Prayer"
  • Stevie Wonder "Superstition" (Maybe "Uptight"?)
  • Michael Jackson "Billie Jean"
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival "Born on the Bayou"
  • Talking Heads "Once in a lifetime"
  • Simon and Garfunkle HARD! "Sound Of Silence"
  • Bob Dylan "Blowin' In The Wind" (Possibly the much superior "Like A Rolling Stone")
  • Iron Butterfly (WTF?) I will check out that track of theirs you mention ...

And pray tell your choices sir?

+++

Back in 1985 when Marvellous Marvin fought Tommy the Hitman boxing was still being broadcast for free over here so I may have seen it, can't recall. I remember those boxers anyway. UK's Chris Eubank came along a bit later in the same weight class I think. I saw him defeat Michael Watson on the TV in London in 1991 in what was the most violent boxing match I ever saw. The lighter weights are plain nasty as they seem to lack the weight to knock out with one punch as the heavies do so they keep coming. Watson suffered permanent brain damage from that bout and is still partially paralyzed. What a waste. I recall that Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard always seemed to be fighting eachother back then, but that may be just my faulty recollection.

+++

Tyson would have beaten Ali I think. Whilst Tyson is clearly a moral animal I was struck by how intelligent he came over in an interview I saw yonks ago, he really analyzed his opponents and came up with strategies of where and when to apply his ferocity. He is a predator of human beings.

+++

I will be going to see the latest X-Men movie when it comes out over here. I just love anything to do with Marvel Comics. It was Stan Lee that basically taught me how to read in the late 60's and early 70's. Comic book movies have really come into their own now that every pixel on the movie screen can be manipulated with digital technology. Now the characters can do on the screen what they did in those old 4-colour comic books. Magical. Having said that I didn't like what they did with the Daredevil movie. Thinking about it though, maybe that's because Ben Affleck's acting just sucks, I'm not sure. Cuba Gooding Jr was way better in "Pearl Harbour" :-)

+++

Tomorrow, I'm off to the Nordics. Oslo in Norway followed by Stockholm in Sweden, I've never been to either of those cities before so am greatly looking forwards to this trip. I'll be back on Friday, but no doubt the hotels will have wireless.

No comments: