Sunday, October 16, 2005

Survival of the most emotional

Minor problem in that my inflight entertainment was broken with no space to switch me to another seat so no movies :-( Got a flashy upgraded car for some reason (a soft top 2 door mustang) drives well but is a gas guzzler (and your gas over here is not as cheap as it used to be).

Fishkill hotel is really good - free wireless! Had breakfast with a Swedish colleague (he brought his golf clubs - he's a serious player) - we were going to play today but it's been raining for a week and the courses are either closed or waterlogged - if we find a suitable course we may play later, but in the meantime we are going shopping at 9.30am to local outlet mall http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=7 - I have instructions to get a Quicksilver surfers necklace.

More evidence of folks with psychological neuroses turning to religion: there is an evangelist fella on the TV banging away about how he was a salesman 20 years and that money was his God. But that he felt lost and that he was looking for something. Then he found religion and he made Jesus his God and now he is much happier. I think that this is a common sales pitch for religion. I think it's worth examining just why we have emotional needs, why we are looking for something.

As I met my colleague for breakfast (he'd been there for 15mins already) he opened with "I had to come I work up early and was so hungry".

It occurred to me that we people get emotional about eating, the act of sustaining the machine (or failing to) can cause us an emotional reaction (pleasure or distress). It made me think that emotion is there for reasons of survival and could it be that if we analyzed every emotion that we are capable of experiencing (even the ones caused by the higher up needs), could we find some causal link to survival?

Thoughts Dr Maslow?

No comments: