Monday, October 31, 2005

Accepting Love

What I was getting at was not so much the reciprocation aspect of this, but rather the question why we (humans, in general) seem to have difficulty accepting kindness and love from others. As a simple example, someone offers a sincere compliment and rather than offer back a sincere, "Well, thank you so much ... that's very kind and I appreciate it very much," we're more likely to respond awkwardly or try to diminish that which was complimented in the first place.

Some might call this modesty, but I'm not so sure.

Could it be that we tend to shy away from this because there's a fear of a reciprocal obligation? Or perhaps there's a feeling of infringement on our autonomy?

Note: kids have this ability early on, don't they? They'll happily receive and soak up all the love a parent will give, right? I wonder when and why that tends to change.

I brought the topic up for two reasons:
  1. The pastor this last Sunday made it a point to talk about how necessary it is to not only believe in the selfless love of God, but to accept it as well. He wouldn't have made the point if there wasn't at least some he's come across who struggled with that aspect of the faith.
  2. I would fall into the category of people who for whatever reason resists "giving in" to the love that God offers. I honestly don't know why. I suspect it's at least partly because I don't really understand the word "love," and certainly not in the biblical "agape" sense. And two, because the titanic battle in my heart right now really is one of sovereignty.

That's why I asked the question. I'm thinking around this point because it strikes me as central to the faith. And my struggles right now are all very basic, very central, very fundamental things ... mostly having to do with my real intent to follow Jesus.

I suppose I should count as a good sign my knowledge of the struggle. If I were truly lost, I probably wouldn't be thinking anything like these things.

Take care!

No comments: