Monday, October 17, 2005

Serenity ... Emotions

I saw the movie "Serenity" last weekend. It was a pretty good science fiction thriller ... and for me that means it's not overburdened with loud noises and excessive action. I think the story line was ladened with various mysticisms ... River was somewhat mystical, there were overt references to Buddhism, and "the Shepherd" character (played by Ron Glass of "Barney Miller" fame) was a human portrayal of Jesus. Towards the end I was looking for the opening for "Serenity II" -- after all, a movie can't be made today without creating a plausible bridge to a sequel.

Speaking of sequels, I caught the last 1/2 hour of "Godfather II" on TV the other day. Wonderful.

* * *
You wrote:
"I think it's worth examining just why we have emotional needs, why we are looking for something."
Theologians say it's because we were created to be in a relationship with our creator God, and by our fallen nature we are not in that relationship. That yearning -- that seeking something -- is a product of the emptiness created by the lack of relationship. I sense some validity to this, but I can't say I've worked out the "relationship with God" aspect of this yet.

* * *
Answer me this -- why is it people go nuts for the shopping experience here in the U.S.? Is it because of the prices, or the selection? I've been to the U.K. and elsewhere, and the stores seem as well-stocked as here. Taxes, perhaps?

* * *
My "Technical Leadership" thing was canceled. All that survey work for nuttin'. :-)

No comments: