Saturday, October 01, 2005

Skepticism and trust

You wrote:

"... how does one go about truly trusting in the Lord when one has an inherent lack of trust in everyone?"

Always remember that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and to keep an open mind -- but not so open that your brains fall out.

When I am presented with the extraordinary evidence that I need, then, and only then, will I start to trust in Him. I've been given that evidence, which makes my having faith that the Biblical Universe is the way it is much easier.

This is why I am suspicious of people who have been indoctrinated into a particular religion from an early age, they never had the opportunity to keep an open mind so didn't need even a shred of evidence. Like many muslims, and even the poor indoctrinated Christian children that I have met -- they have misguided parents (in my view). I don't think He's looking for indoctrinated robots, I don't think it's enough for Him, He needs us to have thought deeply about what we are doing (for some reason).

You and I on the other hand have found The Lord in a different way, so I would say that if we keep looking for God's work (extraordinary evidence) then we will eventually learn to trust in Him.

Skepticism certainly has a place (it keeps the nutjobs at bay) -- I think that it allows humanity to move forwards instead of stagnating in the mire of every loonies latest theory.

Maybe I have to sacrifice my fear of death and you have to sacrifice your skepticism to some degree? Maybe those are the particular tests that you and I have to pass?

No comments: