Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Facts and Truth

I wrote:
As I've stated before, the existence of God either is or is not, and whether it's measured and agreed upon by all observers has no bearing on it at all.
You wrote:
How do you know that? Is it obvious? A bit like time being constant is obvious regardless of your velocity (which it is not). Is it so because you stated it?
I know that because the assertion I'm making has nothing whatever to do with the reality of God's existence, or his nature, or any notion of agreement. My assertion is a very simple logical statement:
If A, then A.
If that can be refuted, I'd like to understand how. Knocking down the premise ("If A") does not count -- I'll agree that's a perfectly valid form of logical argument. But I'm not arguing for the validity of the premise. I'm saying, "Assume the premise for the sake of argument. Therefore ..." Refute my conclusion, given the premise.

Let's take your game show example. There are really two things going on there:
  1. The chance (probability) of picking the door behind which the car resides
  2. The reality of where the car actually resides

The location of the car doesn't change, regardless of the decision made by the contestant.

And that's all I've been saying about God. I'm not asserting his existence. I'm not stating it as fact, nor saying it's the capital-T-Truth. I'm simply saying that his existence is not dependent on other things. The car's existence behind one of the doors was not dependant upon the decision made by the contestant.

Question: before mankind could prove, through scientific experimentation and observation, that the planet Neptune existed ... did it exist? Or did it come into existence only when there was agreement that it existed?

No comments: