Thursday, October 27, 2005

Randomness

I couldn't follow all the logic of the theorem ... but then again I'm a bit tired and my mind wasn't fully on it. But there was a sentence in there that said something to the effect that things we can't predict may not be random, but rather controlled by a variable we can't see.

From a purely theological point of view -- and by that, I mean keeping with the concept of God's omniscience -- there is nothing truly, ultimately "random." That would mean it is beyond the understanding and control of God. Personally, I can't -- and don't desire to -- trust a God that is limited. The God I have come to understand through Scripture, and what small personal insights he has given me, is one who is unlimited.

Does God "play dice" with the universe? I don't believe so. I believe he knows exactly what's going on at every moment within every atom in the entire physical universe. That a God with that capacity for knowing would care about you or me personally is quite something to my mind.

I don't understand physics like you do. Talk of "strings" and "quarks" and such are just words. When it comes to God it doesn't really apply -- he created those things, he stands above those things, it is him who sustains the existence of those things. God is not dependent on quantum mechanics; quantum mechanics is dependent upon him.

Quite something to ponder, isn't it?

No comments: