Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Flat Tyre

That's TYRE not Truth Is Relative Eventually (TIRE).

It just occured to me when reading your response, that what we all do is construct our own realities.

The job of the scientist has always been to try to find out what is really going on.

You wrote:

As I've stated before, the existence of God either is or is not, and whether it's measured and agreed upon by all observers has no bearing on it at all.

How do you know that? Is it obvious? A bit like time being constant is obvious regardless of your velocity (which it is not). Is it so because you stated it?

You wrote:

Your first bullet and your second bullet contradict one another. In your first bullet you assume the constancy and reality of the speed of light

That's not correct - I don't assume the constancy of c at all - I state that no-one has ever measured it to be other than the constant that everyone has measured it to be.

You wrote:

In your second bullet you assume that the existence of God is dependent upon an agreement as to the definition and nature of God.

That's not correct - I don't assume the existence of God is dependent upon an agreement, I said that we cannot state as a fact that God exists.

You wrote:

By that logic, then, if I bring together a group of people who believe the speed of light is something different, then the "fact" of the speed of light is no longer true.

I kind of agree with you here - it could mean that the small group has faulty equipment, or that they sense things in a different way. If it's the latter then we're not going to get agreement. For people to agree upon facts I agree that they need the same sensory equipment and they need to be logical and rational. Thus my woefully belated realization that we all create our own realities as we all have slightly different sensory equipment.

Throughout my argument you will notice that I do not connect the word "fact" and "true" as you did.

And how can two people be standing next to eachother and be asked to pick a door with a car behind it and one has a 66% chance of winning a car and the other a 50% chance? How can this possibly be?

Two doors
Same question
No-one has seen behind the doors
Same universe?

I can't fathom what it is going on but somehow it is important. If numbers run the Universe then all sorts of weird things are possible - just because the mathematics allows them to be possible. All good news for an Omnipotent Diety I feel.

No comments: