Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Those Tucson Guys

On the wire today:

"A universe that's dominated by dark stuff seems preposterous, so we wanted to test whether there were any basic flaws in our thinking," said Doug Clowe of the University of Arizona at Tucson, and leader of the study. "These results are direct proof that dark matter exists."


I like to imagine that Coppola took his inspiration in part from stories his Italian parents and Grandparents told him of the old country, plus it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he (and Puzo) knew a few real-life Mafioso characters. Yeah and that Rosebud movie also according to some internet sources.


What happens if one compares and contrasts two arbitrary positions (neither of which I would suggest is how it is, but I don't know how it is, so I'll choose these):

1. We live in a Universe where the Christian God (his name is Jahweh) exists and things are exactly as an inerrant Bible says they are

and

2. We are a set of cells shaped through survival over time and live in a random place called The Universe which has no Creator or God

So, I'm thinking of statements like ..

If 2 then what an awful merry-go-round of a place I feel pointless, what is the point? When I die that's it for me, we're all alone, but at least I don't have to choose between religions or give away 10% of my salary to a Church ..

If 1 then all the other religions got it wrong, why do bad things happen, why do I need to take out insurance, at least I am going to Heaven and will live forever, someone always loves me ..

etc etc

I'd be interested in what you see are the root main pro's and con's of each adopted position.


Oil that is 7 or 8 bucks a gal huh? Did you ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle maintenance: An Inquiry into Values"?

No comments: