Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Intent is a fascinating subject

Whilst driving from seeing a renal consultant to work today, a journey of some 90 mins my brain of course decided to wander on matters other than navigating the well worn route being driven. I was looping around the issues associated with "intent".

All sorts of stuff comes out of thinking about it.

For instance, if one says something ... "I intend to do X" and then goes and does "Y" did they really intend to do "X" or did they really intend to do "Y" all along? If so, then does that define the word hypocrite ?

If I say "I intend to trust everything to God" and then go and buy insurance, then I am not trusting that God will look after me. Am I a hyprocrite? Probably.

Is a wedding vow really along the lines of "Do you intend to be faithful to spouse?" and the fact that so many marriages end with infidelity cited as the reason for divorce an example of our ingrained hypocrisy? Is it ok to not do something that you intended to do?

What is the difference between

1. "I intend to do X"

and

2. "I will do X"

??

It seems ok to break the first but not ok to break the second. Am I smoking drugs again on this? :-)

Your thoughts please on this fascinating (to me) can of worms you have opened !

In the Apollo 13 movie, as their space craft begins its uncertain journey home, Captain Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) asks his imperiled crew, “Gentlemen, what are your intentions? ...

+++

Yes I think that 4am is the quietest time in most places in the UK also. But I'm so aware that it's all relative to where you are, I think more globally now - and with God how can you ever feel lonely anyway :-) Plus, I suspect that all of our ancestors (in the human sense - not necessarily our childrens children, but anyone's childrens children) are studying us. On the drive today - once I was looped out on "intent" - it seemed natural that there will be so many googlezillion humans in the future that each of us with be a project for - I dunno - say a whole planet. This planet studies the life of Bagwell -- looking back through time at every moment of his existence - in a read-only fashion of course - like his life as we might watch a DVD, they cannot interact with you for reasons of causality. Seems obvious to me that this will happen, the maths is good to do so.

Okay so I'm nuts.

No comments: