Wednesday, August 02, 2006

50 Funniest Comedies

This is from some magazine, and is in chronological order, rather then "best to least-best." I've indicated my quick summaries. (No comment means I never saw it.)
  • SAFETY LAST (1923)
  • THE GOLD RUSH (1925)
  • THE GENERAL (1927)
  • DUCK SOUP (1933)
  • IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)
  • A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)
  • MY MAN GODFREY (1936)
  • THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937)
  • BRINGING UP BABY (1938)
  • HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)
  • A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1940)
  • THE BANK DICK (1940)
  • TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)
  • ROAD TO MOROCCO (1942)
  • THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK (1944)
  • THE LADYKILLERS (1955)
  • BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET (1958)
  • SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)
  • THE APARTMENT (1690)
  • DR. STRANGELOVE (1964) -- I like this very much, but I think George C. Scott is the real reason this was a great movie. Peter Sellers was good, but Scott stole the show.
  • A SHOT IN THE DARK (1964)
  • THE PRODUCERS (1968)
  • MASH (1970) -- I watched this on TV a little while back. It still works, but it definitely carries with it the 1970 "feel" to it.
  • SLEEPER (1973) -- I saw it way back when, but not since. I recall it being funny to my 14-year-old brain. I suspect I would find it less so now.
  • BLAZING SADDLES (1974) -- Has many classically funny moments. The humor can be somewhat adolescent at times, which is why I loved it in the 1970's. It's a bit dated now.
  • YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974) -- I never saw what was so great about this.
  • MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (1979) -- The first time I watched this I fell out of my seat and could barely breathe for laughing so hard. I've since seen it maybe 10 or 12 times. The humor is a bit thin now, but it does stand up as a classic movie.
  • THE SUNSHINE BOYS (1975)
  • ANNIE HALL (1977)
  • NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (1978) -- They did such a fine job projecting this movie back to the early 1960's college setting that it doesn't get old. I can still watch this and enjoy it.
  • HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1978)
  • THE IN LAWS (1979)
  • THE JERK (1979)
  • AIRPLANE! (1980) -- Another movie with some classic moments. I can still watch it, but it tends to drag a bit now. The scene with Barbara Billingsly talking "jive" will endure forever.
  • CADDYSHACK (1980) -- I like this, but not as much as some others. I don't think this is as "classic for the ages" as others.
  • PRIVATE BENJAMIN (1980) -- I saw it, but have forgotten it. Enough said.
  • MY FAVORITE YEAR (1982)
  • TRADING PLACES (1983) -- I mentioned this in my prior post. Okay, but not great.
  • NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION (1983)
  • THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) -- Stands the test of time as being one of the more clever and smart comedies. I've seen it too many times to still find it fresh, but the cleverness of it does not pale in my eyes.
  • A FISH CALLED WANDA (1988) -- Okay. Not much more in my eyes.
  • GROUNDHOG DAY (1993) -- I saw this for the first time earlier this year. I found it to be rather un-funny, and with a powerfully dark underlying message. Others claim it's an uplifting message, but I didn't find it so.
  • AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (1997) -- Another that was entirely unique and clever.
  • THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998)
  • THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY (1998) -- I can only take so much of Ben Stiller.
  • RUSHMORE (1998)
  • BEST IN SHOW (2000) -- This is a great movie ... the humor is very, very subtle. I really enjoyed this. I doubt I could watch it a dozen times, but for a first-time watch it is truly clever.
  • ZOOLANDER (2001)
  • WEDDING CRASHERS (2005)
  • THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN (2005) -- I shouldn't have, but darn it, I laughed uncontrollably over some of the lines in this.
One movie many like but I hated was "Meet The Parents," with Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro. There was cruelty for the sake of humor I could not easily take. Another in that genre is "The Family Stone," which some say is "dark," but I find simply unpleasant.

No comments: