Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hypocrisy

Interesting that the definition of "Hypcrite" would have the religious angle of that featured first. While many in the realm of religion are indeed hypocrites, I didn't think of that being the primary aspect of the definition. Interesting.

You wrote:
Maybe I was born on the wrong world or something? I really can't see the point in many of my activities but I do them anyway to avoid looking out of place and to keep the peace.
I think we need to be a bit careful here ... there are many aspect of life that call for doing things that may not be entirely what we want to do. So now you have me wondering what separates good hypocrisy from bad hypocrisy. Good hypocrisy is when someone politely compliments the meal when in fact they didn't really enjoy it all that much. To criticize a meal one has been invited to as a guest would be extremely rude. (There's a matter of degree, of course -- if one fawned all over the meal that would be crossing the line, I think.) Bad hypocrisy is, I think, when one tries to force others to abide by a strict code of conduct they themselves violate. The thundering preacher man who cheats on his wife is the classic example ... and all too common, I'm afraid.

By the strictest definition of the word, we're all hypocrites. But by my reading of it, you're okay.

* * *
Your posting editing tool thing is cool. And you've avoided using Comic MS Sans. Thanks!

* * *
Santa Fe is all about art and jewelry and stuff like that. Beautiful scenery and lots of that sort of stuff. However, they have some nice microbreweries.

No comments: