Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Purpose

I looked at the website you linked to where Joseph Knippenberg says:

We’re so constructed as both to love this world and to look beyond it

Which is an assumption. It's an assumption I am questioning in my post when I allude to "is it possible for a man to have not wanted to exist"? From the above I would expect Joseph's answer to be "yes" -- but he gives no proof. What would your answer be buddy?

He then goes on to say

In a random natural world, "justice" is a human construct and is humanly imposed.

I believe that statement to be incorrect and is again without any proof or backup. "Treat others as you wish to be treated" -- which is connected to the concept of justice -- could be a completely natural phenomenon, just like natural selection, could it not? Just like the random circuits that work out how to detect an input signal through natural selection, survival to breed of the fittest rather than by design, no-one knows for sure - but what are the pros and cons of believing that God did it ?


You asked:

Are you suggesting that the two propositions -- there is not God vs. the God of the Bible is true -- represent a binary condition? Either or?

I had to read this a few times because I am dim, but I'm still not sure what you're asking me ! I guess by God I am referring to the Abrahamic God if that's any help, not say "Thor" the God of Thunder. Whether there is some Uber-God somewhere above the Abrahamic God is not central to this particular question, well at least I hadn't thought it was.

Do you believe it's possible that God allows a person to be as happy or as miserable as they choose, depending on the life they lead and the choices they make?

I believe it's possible yes, if any number of criteria are met.

No comments: