Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Cucumbers

I love the darn things. In the last few months I've discovered -- or rediscovered? -- how good the things are. One of my favorite snacks now is a cucumber sandwich -- sliced cucumbers, a bit of mayo and a slice of cheese. When I want more of a meal, I'll fry an egg and put it on there.

Years ago, when my family moved from the city to the country (that was 1969 for those who wish to count the years), we planted a garden on our newly acquired country land. We laid in 70 tomato plants and something like 15 or 20 cucumber plants. My, oh my, oh my ... did mother nature produce a bountiful crop. We couldn't eat the tomatoes fast enough ... many rotted on the vine. Our dog at the time loved to wade into the garden, pick a tomato, and then go eat it on the grass somewhere. But the cucumbers were the amazing thing ... bushels of them. My grandmother pickled as much as she could. We gave away tons. And still, cucumbers everywhere.

Why do I mention this? Because yesterday for lunch I had a tuna sandwhich with cucumbers.

This is serious bloggin' going on here ... serious stuff indeed.

No comments: