Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Definition of Love

I was listening to an MP3 on Christian Discipleship and the speaker -- Dallas Willard -- used this definition for love:
Acting with intent to do what is right and good for the object
He made it a point to sharply distinguish that from "desire." His example was chocolate cake. He says he does not love chocolate cake. He does not intend to do what is right and good for the chocolate cake. He intends to eat the chocolate cake. That's desire.

He points out that society today horribly confuses the two. I believe he's correct.

I know there can be lots of discussion around the words "right" and "good."

Desire and love can intersect, can they not? Is it not possible for me to both love my wife and to desire her? I would think so.

I like his inclusion of the words "with intent." I believe that is central to the concept he's trying to convey here.

No comments: