Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Check Out the Big Brain on Brett!

A hypocrite is someone who intentionally does something contrary to their intent. :-)

Now you've got me thinking about this. Can anyone really every say "I will" do something? How can anyone say such a thing with certainty? Who knows what may come up that will interfere with such a bold statement. Perhaps "I intend" is the strongest that can be said. So do we now need to factor in the circumstances that prevented me from following through on my intent?
  • I intend to purchase a lottery ticket. I take a nap and fail to purpose one.
  • I intend to purchase a lottery ticket. A meteorite crashes through my roof and kills me and I fail to purchase one.
Am I a hypocrite in the first case, but not in the second?

* * *
At the start my reason for focusing on that word was to differentiate deliberate intent from what I'll term casual intent. Much of life is conducted with casual intent, I think. The amount of energy to deliberately intend to do something prevents most from doing much with deliberately.

* * *
Yes, you're nuts. :-)

No comments: