Monday, August 28, 2006

Altruism

I agree ... I don't think real -- meaning, complete and total -- altruism really exists at all. Well, one huge exception: Jesus. But for us lesser beings, there is always a selfish element to everything we do.

Note: which, incidentally, is why the "Golden Rule" is phrased the way it is. God could have said simply: "Do unto others as I would have you do unto them." That would in fact being a far more grounded commandment. But our understanding of what God would have us do unto them is subject to misinterpretation and corruption. So, in a shrewd move, God played upon our self-interest. Knowing that nothing is more important to us that ourselves, he flipped the equation. "Okay ... do unto others as you would have them do unto you." :-)

* * *
I suppose hypocrisy can be tied to the Golden Rule such as you suggest. If I don't want to live by the rules I tell others to live by, then I'm not "doing unto others" ...

No comments: