Thursday, March 15, 2007

Selfish Selflessness

This goes back to the secret behind altruism, does an altruistic person really satisfy some kind of urge within themselves by giving up their self interest?

I had to read that several times to let it sink in. It's almost as if the question being asked here is: "Can it be considered an indulgence in self-interest to be selfless?" That's seems like an oxymoron, but I don't think it is ... I think there's an element of truth in it. Let's say for instance someone feels very strongly that they should serve the poor, and do so utterly anonymously. Can it be said that by indulging their strong feeling they are in fact serving a self-interest? I think so.

Is that wrong? I think not.

Which gets back to what I think is your basic point -- there really isn't anything that is truly altruistic. Everyone, all the time, is serving some element of self-interest.

Which then suggests that what should do is focus on what our self interests are. If my self interest is, cruelly, to treat others as I myself would prefer not to be treated ... then I am doing bad. But if my self interest -- in the form of not hating myself for being a bad person -- is served by treating others as I would like to be treated ... then I am being a good person.

My argument is circling on itself.

I really don't have a clear head on all this. My original point about the publicity thing was really a veiled slam on people who seem to require acknowledgment. To me, the worst example of this is the name plaque on the back of a church pew. But I'm being judgmental, so I should just be quiet. :-)

* * *
My lovely bride is departing me this weekend -- she is going to a conference in Salt Lake City on how to host and conduct a proper "tea." That's right -- in the English tradition. She has become quite taken by the whole process ... the tea, the finger sandwiches, the sweets.

Her departure permits me some guilt-free motorcycle riding.

* * *
What do you see when you look at your cross?

I don't see it as something to do, per se. It's really a state of mind. I can sense where my true intent lies. The frustrating things is I know darn well that a life of curbing my tongue, of being genuinely interested in other people's bests interests, in giving up my need to have my way all the time ... I know that will be a better, less stressful life. Yet I resist. Fiercely. Why?

No comments: