Thursday, March 15, 2007

Importance

I was lacking any sense of meaningfulness or significance.

I know what you mean. I once had a manager who used to say "the guy driving the school bus does a more important job than me, I'm just higher paid for doing something of almost zero importance " -- also she has since left the company :) However I think she was probably correct.

So perhaps "meaningfulness" is related to doing something "good" by societal standards? Like taking kids to school, and certainly not doing something "evil". If you recall my treatise on evil, I came to the conclusion that the only evil a person can do is when they treat others in a way that they know they would not like to be treated themselves. Every other definition of evil can be relative, but this definition is absolute to the individual doing the evil. Note: in this definition revenge is most certainly evil in most cases.

So perhaps the most meaningful life we can lead is a life where we treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated - thus denying our genetic naturally-selected heritage? This way of life would be in tune with Jesus' message to a large degree I think. If we can live this way then perhaps we pass the test? Regardless of what job we do? To live this way is very hard though, just think of all the things you have to give up.

+++

Thanks for allmusic website, it has everyone, I have spent the last two hours looking - if I have to see that Chris Rock movie commercial one more time though I'm gonna hurl !

No comments: