Friday, March 16, 2007

Argumentation and Consistency

But what is logic? Which type are we talking about here? There is formal symbolic and mathematical logic, on which modern mathematics and computers are built and then there is the woolley philosophical logic - which is what I think we are talking about here (please correct me if I am wrong).

I honestly don't know. I'm aware of the mathematical logic; less so the philosophical logic you referenced. Your comment that Mr. Spock used philosophic logic all the time threw me.

I guess more than anything what I want is people to employ consistency, and failing that, then at a bare minimum to recognize that inconsistency may exist. How much squishier can I get? But even that seems to be out of bounds. Inconsistency? Even when they're being blatant about it, they continue to flail away.

Note: I'll confess I'm often inconsistent in my argumentation. It maddens me when I'm caught in it ... I wish I was more tight with my reasoning.

We've had the discussion before about how mathematical axioms are by definition true because we assert them to be true. Whether they are or are not really doesn't matter ... for the purposes of the exercise we assume X and work from there.

Help me understand what you're meaning by philosophical logic. Better yet, give me an example of Spock's use of it.

No comments: