Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doing the "right" thing

Now, here's the question ... what percentage of people do so with the full intent of being relatively anonymous doing it?

What is the underlying difference in the following scenarios:

Do something good and

a) never mention it publicly, just leave it at that. Feel quietly happy that you have done something meaningful.

Compared to:

b) never mention it publicly, AND THEN feel hard done by it, say "Oh why did I have to go and do that good thing and give up my self interest?" But would do it again nontheless.

?

Person (a) is going to be a lot happier with the publicity I think. This goes back to the secret behind altruism, does an altruistic person really satisfy some kind of urge within themselves by giving up their self interest? I think so, because this would match up with them having needs borne of natural selection that they want to meet, which is a kind of selfishness, but a good one :)

I'm looking seriously at my cross ... but I've not taken it up.

What do you see when you look at your cross?

No comments: