Saturday, March 03, 2007

Impressions of a Wing


Elevation: about 9000 feet.

The Goldwing now has 500 miles on it and is getting better and better. The power distribution of this bike is simply amazing. Yesterday I took it to the top of the mountain on which Kitt Peak Observatory sits, and without needing to shift around to find the "right" gear the bike simply pulled to the top in 4th gear. No lugging whatever.

Some early observations:
  • Mileage is around 38 to 40mpg. I think most of that is a factor of how fast and hard I drive the bike. 80mph+ on the freeway tends to burn lots of fuel. This last tankful I did more in the range of 60mph and got nearly 41mpg.
  • Wind buffeting around the head is an annoyance. I'm not sure there's anyway to alleviate that short of getting in a car.
  • My next accessory -- already on order -- is a backrest. I just can't sit long without some kind of lower back support.
  • I need to practice my slow-speed handling of the bike. Little things have told me my exertise in this area is lacking.
The next milestone for me will be taking the bike out for a two-day run ... with a stay in a hotel somewhere. My concern there is parking the bike. Lots of people park their bikes in hotel lots without a problem. I have a heavy duty cable and lock, and I can park under a light. Will that be enough? Let's hope.

No comments: