Saturday, March 17, 2007

Inconsistency

Help me understand what you're meaning by philosophical logic. Better yet, give me an example of Spock's use of it.

Most of the things Spock said fall into this category.

In "Shore Leave" Spock said "On my planet 'to rest' is to rest, to cease using energy. To me it is quite illogical to run up and down on green grass using energy instead of saving it."

Is the axiom that this philosophical logic based upon (to rest = cease to use energy) open to interpretation with regards to vacationing? You betcha! It's not like an AND gate or a XOR operation, which are based on axioms that are not open to interpretation.

One other that comes to mind is that episode where they were escaping off some planet and Spock had to burn off in a flare the last of the shuttle craft fuel in a desperate attempt to signal the Enterprise as to their location. After they had been saved Spock said "it was illogical to use the fuel in this manner due to the very low likelyhood that the Enterprise would see it" (or words to that effect), now what axiom is that based upon? Surely if you are going to die anyway wouldn't it be logical to use any method, however remote it's likelyhood of succeeding, to save the crew?

I guess more than anything what I want is people to employ consistency, and failing that, then at a bare minimum to recognize that inconsistency may exist.

Oh in that case do you want innerant Bible believers to recognize the inconsistencies in The Bible? Would you like Lewis to give option (c) ie. to recognize that an inconsistency with his "force you down an alley of only two given options (a) and (b)" might exist?

I'll confess I'm often inconsistent in my argumentation. It maddens me when I'm caught in it

If you answered "no" to either of the previous two questions then you've been caught in it again sir ! :) There is a third option of course, ie. decline to answer the previous two questions !

+++

Is inconsistency like breaking a promise?

No comments: